Monday 31 October 2011

Book of the Month- November 2011: The Hunger Games by Sazanne Collins

This months book of the month is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Genre: Distopia/Action/Adventure

Released: September 14th 2008

PLOT:
Hunger games.jpgIn a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, the son of the town baker who seems to have all the fighting skills of a lump of bread dough, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives. Collins's characters are completely realistic and sympathetic as they form alliances and friendships in the face of overwhelming odds; the plot is tense, dramatic, and engrossing.


Polls are now open for our December book of the month, so get voting! And don't forget to comment on your view of this book!




Rapunzels Opinion:



Spoiler Alerts are written in purple and when the spoiler is over i have put a note in blue.


So I want to start this review by saying that I adored this book but not the series. The premise of the Hunger Games is one made up of brilliance and i adored Katniss. But the whole series? Not so much. The reason for this is both Gale and Peeta.

(*Spoiler Alert*)

I ship KatnissXGale and the fact that she ends up with Peeta just bothers me. And for so long time and so much I can not stress it enough.  I would not have even minded Finnik that much just not Peeta. I mean his special talent is 'camoflage' (Scary). Anyway lets not get bogged down in that

(*Spoiler over*)

But once I put all of that aside -very hard- I was able to fully appreciate how wonderful the rest of the characters where and how much I had enjoyed the actual story line. 
Katniss really was a wonderful character to have the story told from. As you would know from my previous review I like my characters strong and Katniss fit that bill while being very original. One of my favourite scenes in the book where this is really demonstrated is after the TV interview and they are 'discussing' (more like yelling) about Peeta declaring his love for Katniss. Sure she is unhappy at first but after  that she manages to put her pettiness aside and look at the big picture. She never annoyed me by getting dragged down by her problems but just gave them thought and then put them aside until a later time.

(*Spoiler Alert*)

And when rue died, I was so upset (for me a real trophy to the story and how much I liked these character) and this was despite that fact that someone -names shall not be named- told me she died.

(*Spoiler over*)

When I was reading the book the whole time she was actually inside the games I spent it on the edge of my seat. I put this down to Suzanne Collins engrossing writing and the story line. I would practically anyone who likes a good book with action, a badass heroine, amazing story line and a smidge of romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment